<< Home
Previous Posts
Archives
Online Poker Tour The3Dpoker
Blogs I'm reading

Abused By Illusions

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Hurricane Katrina Anniversary Post



I’m posting the above video in honor of the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. Earlier in the summer I made a personal track to the storm-ravaged Gulf Coast and had the eerie experience of driving through the streets of New Orleans. Coming into the city the first thing I noticed was a smell akin to mildewed wet clothing lingering on top of what can only be described as the smell of death. The site of the destruction was breathtaking and my first thought was that what I was looking at must be similar to what the destruction of a nuclear device might look like. Skyscrapers with the windows blown out, huge box store marquees thrown like children’s toys and lodged into the sides of other buildings. The feeling that the site and smell of New Orleans invoked in me I can only describe by stating that as I entered all I could think about was getting out of there. I can’t imagine having to live there and have the deepest sympathy for those that do after having driven through and seeing the destruction wrought there.

Traveling further through Louisiana I met and enjoyed the hospitality of some of the states and I might dare say the country’s most gracious host (they did after all put up with all my ignant Yankee questions). Also during this leg of my journey I was introduced, by the same great folks, to the culinary delight called a “roux.” Since returning to Tennessee I have made it a personal mission to become somewhat adept at cooking this dish myself as I just can’t get enough of it and can’t rightly say how I ever ate before I was aware of it. I also ate me a mess of “Sugar Town” melons or more lovingly referrred to as “piss chunks.” Folks this was the best watermelon I have ever ate in my life and I’ve been wondering how I can get these shipped up here to me in Yankee land. Thanks again for having me folks! I truly enjoyed getting to enjoy the slice of heaven you folks have for yourself and look forward to the day that I can return. I have ommited your names to protect the innocent and so that you might avoid the infamy of entertaining such a despicable guest as myself!

Post a Comment